Band Views

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
pittsburgh an

Band Views

Postby pittsburgh an » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:28 pm

What are the bands' views on the latest legislation from North Carolina concerning LBGT?

mao

Re: Band Views

Postby mao » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:57 pm

Not sure.
I was wondering what Gov McCrory's new album sounds like.

If you get my point.

I would reason it safe to say that NO ONE wants to see legislation that would harm another person.
While The Avett Brothers are a band and not a political entity, they are certainly aware of the controversy surrounding recent events in their state. Anyone with half a brain and most their heart might want something so divisive to at least be given a closer look.

Banjo Mike

Postby Banjo Mike » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:27 pm

@ Mao

Which is why expecting a public statement on the issue and action in support of the LGBT community is perfectly reasonable. It is also necessary when a band sells belt buckles and logo patches promoting the state and implicitly saying 'North Carolina proud". Its cool to support your home state, but its not a reason to not speak out against unjust laws - as countless other acts, including many from North Carolina, have already done. Its also what 95 Mississippi authors had the courage to do when their state passed similar legislation. To claim art and politics are not intimately connected is to willfully ignore a rich history of activism in the music industry, particularly regarding civil rights.

When is the governor's next album coming out...never
When is TAB addressing the LGBT issue in their state...soon I hope
There is an obvious difference
But...you see my point, right?

SundayRehab

Postby SundayRehab » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:42 pm

I would not expect them to issue any statements on the issue. They have not issued statements in the past concerning embarrassing NC laws and I doubt they will start now.
“All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
― Louis Armstrong

LeighAnne74

Postby LeighAnne74 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:23 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I think I can guess where they stand on this issue...based off the people they are & the message I hear in the music.
Others may be disappointed that a statement has not been made, but I'm not one of them.

Also, I was lucky enough to witness not one, but two really great performances of Murder in the City with the fellas & the lovely Brandi Carlisle in which I'm pretty sure they purposely gave her an opportunity to tell her wife how much she loves her...which in my opinion is pretty darn cool.

Peace, y'all

Return to “Avett Discussion”