New Album True Sadness

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
Michelle

New Album True Sadness

Postby Michelle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm pretty darn excited with today's announcement. Hoping for special pre-order packages.

mao

Re: New Album True Sadness

Postby mao » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:21 pm

It really is amazing how consistent these guys are.
I have been blessed with an appreciation for all music. While I may not be the deepest expert on any one genre, I am well versed across the board and can tolerate most anything as long as I feel it's an honest effort.
Good?
Meh....that's opinion.
Quality is quantifiable, however.
It's a very short list of artist who are able to evolve they way this band has AND dance in and out of genres until they themselves defy classification. These artist aren't always successful in the charts, but they are never boring.
Let's see, there was Bowie.
Waits.
Ummm...dang. Might be a shorter list than I initially thought.
Anyway, my point is that I expected these guys to stumble so many albums ago that I'm almost numb to how good stuff is by them.
I can't think of another group in any genre who's had the run of great albums these guys have. I've been expecting them to drop a stinker for years and aside from a couple songs I'm not really a fan of (I once flicked a puppy on it's ear when Kickdrum Heart came on the radio. Sorry, little puppy) they haven't.
I too am so anxious to hear it.
There will be no puppies present when I do.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:00 am

Very excited for this. Sounds like it could be the best one yet.

Side note: mao, I love the way you write, very entertaining.

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:53 pm

It really is amazing how consistent these guys are.
I have been blessed with an appreciation for all music. While I may not be the deepest expert on any one genre, I am well versed across the board and can tolerate most anything as long as I feel it's an honest effort.
Good?
Meh....that's opinion.
Quality is quantifiable, however.
It's a very short list of artist who are able to evolve they way this band has AND dance in and out of genres until they themselves defy classification. These artist aren't always successful in the charts, but they are never boring.
Let's see, there was Bowie.
Waits.
Ummm...dang. Might be a shorter list than I initially thought.
Anyway, my point is that I expected these guys to stumble so many albums ago that I'm almost numb to how good stuff is by them.
I can't think of another group in any genre who's had the run of great albums these guys have. I've been expecting them to drop a stinker for years and aside from a couple songs I'm not really a fan of (I once flicked a puppy on it's ear when Kickdrum Heart came on the radio. Sorry, little puppy) they haven't.
I too am so anxious to hear it.
There will be no puppies present when I do.

I love ALL of what you said and completely agree! I've stuck with some bands through progression and a changing sound - Beck, Sonic Youth, Ray Lamontagne.. just a few examples.. I def didn't love all of what they did. I kind of floated in and out of paying attention. With the guys though- wherever they seem to wander, it's speaking to me.. happy, sad, banjo, piano, screaming, raw, polished, .... I'll take it all!

bmc

Postby bmc » Tue May 03, 2016 1:40 am

What's the story behind the album cover for True Sadness?

Return to “Avett Discussion”