How did you get into the Avetts?

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
geordie

Re: How did you get into the Avetts?

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Indeed from an article about them "http://nodepression.com/article/what-ha ... rsonsfield"

"Our first show was December of 2010"

mao

Postby mao » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah. It's crazy how PC ya gotta be these days or somebody's feelings will get hurt and people with hurt feelings are so needy.
It's even put a damper on stuff in MY life personally.
We were going to name our band The Wetback Spades.
I don't think that's going to happen now.

BRoc

Postby BRoc » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:51 am

Here in Canada, we have a government owned radio station called CBC. They have a couple of stations and on one of them, they have 2 shows per day that plays adult contemporary music. That's how I heard February Seven for the first time and I immediately took to Scott's voice. From there, it was a deep dive into the entire catalogue. Still waiting to see my first show!

LeighAnne74

Postby LeighAnne74 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Shamefully late to the par-tay.
Wouldn't be the first time though (just discovered who Nick Drake was last year :shock: )
Living in Atlanta and heard them on DaveFM (RIP)
Asked my BF to buy me I & Love & You for Christmas.
I listened to it obsessively for weeks on end. Finally got a chance to see them live when they did a free after show at
The Braves game that spring. I was blown away by the performance.
I already knew I loved them but typically hold off on making it official until I see a band live.
Yeah, well not hard to guess the rest was history after that! So glad I found them and "better late than never" has never been truer!

Ann

Postby Ann » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:23 am

I read about the Avett's on a blog 4 years ago. I downloaded the Mignonette. I loved the feel of this group and I could visualize them singing around a campfire. My son, 7 years old, loved the single kick drum heart. My husband came home and I told him about this group I had discovered and he fell in love with them too. We booked our tickets to see them live in Ann Arbor. They have become a part of our dinner rituals, evening chill outs ... Just beautiful music. We love that they play all their instruments and are true to the roots of folk music. Not produced. Just real.

greybird

Postby greybird » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Quite awhile ago (2005 ish), I was really into this local bluegrassy band. The lead guitarist had gone to school with Bob, and talked up the Avetts to anyone who would listen. I was over at a house party with them one night, and November Blue started playing over the speakers. I was immediately intrigued. A few months later, the guys in the band took me with them to see the Avetts at a little rinky dink cafe outside of Villanova, PA. And that was the end of it for me. And the beginning......

bmc

Postby bmc » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:11 am

I was listening to a band (don't remember which one) on Spotify when it recommended Avett Bros. Fell in love with the first song, then the next, and then the next...... :D

Went to my first concert at Revel Hall in Atlantic City, a few years ago and was just amazed by them. (BTW, Revel Hall had, by far, the best acoustic sound of any music hall I've ever been to. Sad what happened to that place.)

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:09 am

I actually had a friend burn me their entire catalog .. at the time.. i casually listened for a couple years.. a few songs every now and then.. then i saw they were coming to town.. so I decided I should check them out.. that was a game changer.. I've bought all the albums over the last few years (some three times) and Chicago was shows #19-21. I owe my friend that's for sure ;)

raleigh

Postby raleigh » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:42 am

Talk about taking it back! I happened across this forum through the new fan club sign up. Haven't been active since the original forum, but glad to see some familiar *faces* like mao and sundayrehab. Hope you guys are well!

The Avett Bros. name kept popping up through friends sometime in 2005 and I eventually got my hands on Mignonette. First show was the grand opening of the Flying Anvil in Greensboro. What ever happened to that guy, anyway? I haven't looked back, but don't get to make it to as many shows as I used to.

Dinasmith07

Postby Dinasmith07 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Acl music festival 2009.

Return to “Avett Discussion”