How did you get into the Avetts?

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
geordie

How did you get into the Avetts?

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:36 pm

As per title, how did you get into the Avetts?

We were a bit late to the show, Mumford and sons first album was huge here (UK) and through them we got into the new wave of British folk music (Noah and the whale, Laura Marling for example).

I asked some one online if there were any bands a bit like the Mumfords and they recommended the Avett Brothers.

Since then the have far eclipsed the mumfords in our musical tastes (only the first album was good IMHO) , we even managed to see them in 2013 when they toured Europe, alas they don't seem to be coming here soon so we will have to arrange a holiday to the US when they are touring, probably the North East as we have family there.

Robin

Re: How did you get into the Avetts?

Postby Robin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:11 am

Rick Rubin

I have always been fascinated by Rick Rubin and his career. One night over dinner, my husband (he works for Sony Music) and I were talking about Rick Rubin's departure from Sony Music. I asked my husband who Mr. Rubin worked with while at Sony and he said The Avett Brothers. I said, "Who?" He said "I've got their cd (ILY) on my desk, I'll bring it home for you to listen to."

I never looked back. No one compares. Fan for life.

SundayRehab

Postby SundayRehab » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:20 pm

I was waiting for Nickel Creek's set at Merlefest 2004 when the band playing before them that day took the stage. While they were walking up the wet stairs their bass player slipped and damaged his stand up bass. They quickly borrowed on from another band and The Avett Brothers started their set. I was pretty impressed with what I heard that day. Over the next couple of years I went to a great number of their shows and got to know the band and their support group. It has been an absolute blast to watch them grow along with their fan base. I've never met a nicer group of people.
“All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
― Louis Armstrong

tinkup

Postby tinkup » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 pm

About 2005...2006 I'd been told by a number of friends that I needed to see them. They had played 2 or 3 times at a festival I went to every year, Wakarusa, but I never caught a show. I did however check out their CDs at work (I work in a library), but I did not like them. At all. I was really into Alt Country & Bluegrass at the time, and they just seemed a bit too screamy for my tastes (stupid, stupid girl). Finally in 2008 at Wakarusa I caught part of their set....I saw less than half because I had to get to The Hackensaw Boys. I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw though. So in 2009 when the festival came around again, I made a point to make their show (this time at Harvest Festival). I fell in love within a couple of songs. I remember nothing about that show (sadly, because they play Solomon) other than loving it & being very excited to tell one of my friends how she was right & I should've listened to her 3 years earlier. You just never know when music will speak to you, I guess.

I did have plans to see BR5-49 in 2006 when TAB opened for them, but flaked out at the last minute. Seeing videos from that show make me sad to have missed so much goodness.

novmberblues

Postby novmberblues » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:12 am

When I was about 13 I was listening to my Mumford and Sons Pandora station and "Shame" came on. I thought it sounded really cool, so I looked them up on youtube and it was all downhill from there. (kidding! uphill all the way!) I really don't know when it was, I think it was just after Magpie was released.
'That's one of the great things about music. You can sing a song to 85000 people and they'll sing it back for 85000 different reasons.' - Dave Grohl

Carmen

Postby Carmen » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I was listening some Spoty station and "I and love and you" sounded. I´ve never heard about them as they are hardly known in Spain, but I was shocked and inmediatly I started to look for their playlists. I casually chose "Salina" only because it is the name of the village nearby I was brought up, and the rest is history. This happened last Summer but since then I´ve hardly heard other bands: for me their music is the purest and most sincere. Their lyrics are not always easy to understad if you are an Spanish native speaker, but it is incredible how their melodies and music can fill the gaps and pass all those feelings.

stirred

Postby stirred » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:06 pm

I was listening some Spoty station and "I and love and you" sounded. I´ve never heard about them as they are hardly known in Spain, but I was shocked and inmediatly I started to look for their playlists. I casually chose "Salina" only because it is the name of the village nearby I was brought up, and the rest is history. This happened last Summer but since then I´ve hardly heard other bands: for me their music is the purest and most sincere. Their lyrics are not always easy to understad if you are an Spanish native speaker, but it is incredible how their melodies and music can fill the gaps and pass all those feelings.
Sometimes the tone of the voice and the delivery speaks when we can't even understand the words.

Salina is one of my favorites!

Chipotle

Postby Chipotle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:38 pm

It was probably in '05 or '06 when I participated on a Ryan Adams message board. The Avetts were mentioned regularly as a band to go see. They finally played a small club here (San Diego) and I saw them blow the doors off the place. Been a fan ever sense.

mao

Postby mao » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I started liking them after a buddy of mine told me some band was ripping off Poor Old Shine.
Poor Old Shine was my favorite band before I started getting into Zappa.
They're not Poor Old Shine now. They had to change their name. I think some American African got angry or something.
Now they're Parsonsfield.
I think they were a really big influence on The Avett Band early on.
Here's a video of them in a tree.

https://youtu.be/hDF28pYOWU4

bdiddy

Postby bdiddy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:12 pm

How long has Poor Old Shine/Parsonsfield been around? They seem a lot younger than the Avetts to me. I thought it was the other way around....they being influenced by the Avetts.

Return to “Avett Discussion”