Avett Opening bands

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
Michelle

Avett Opening bands

Postby Michelle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:45 am

I've been going to concerts since I was 14. I've seen hundreds of shows.. maybe more..and I've been lucky to be introduced to new bands through opening acts (some i wish to NEVER hear again). We are all familiar now with names like Brett Dennen, Brandi Carlile, Langhorne Slim, Shakey Graves, etc - as these acts often share the same stage. I have a two part question for y'all.

1. What's one band you REALLY want the Avetts to swoop up and take on the road with em?
2. What's one band you've seen open for (any) band that you had no clue about at the time and kick yourself (or feel super lucky) about now?

For me -
1. I would love the Punch Brothers to join them. It would almost be a dream tour of epic proportions for me.
2. I saw Elliot Smith open for Ben Folds Five and Beck back in 98. I remember being SUPER impressed and i went out and bought his album. If only I knew what I was experiencing at the time. (time machine please).

GregB

Re: Avett Opening bands

Postby GregB » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:06 am

Hi Michelle,

1. A fellow NC band The Steep Canyon Rangers

2. Dont really have anything for this.....so Ill say Im kicking myself for missing TAB and OCMS in Alpharetta a couple of years ago

SundayRehab

Postby SundayRehab » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:11 am

1. I would love to see/hear Old Man Markley open for the Avetts.
2. I saw The J Geils Band open for Muddy Waters and The Allman Brothers. They had just released their first LP and no one in NC had ever heard of them. They became one of my favorite live bands.
“All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
― Louis Armstrong

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:19 am

1. I would love to see/hear Old Man Markley open for the Avetts.
2. I saw The J Geils Band open for Muddy Waters and The Allman Brothers. They had just released their first LP and no one in NC had ever heard of them. They became one of my favorite live bands.

Wow.. that's pretty epic.. also I"ll have to check out this Old Man Markley band..I'm not familiar.

geordie

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Grace Potter opened here at the Manchester gig, I would like to see "the shires" open next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwYVg4n1Qk

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm

I wouldn't mind Frank Turner opening for them. I know his opening slot for Jason Isbell got quite the conversation going on a FT fan page I'm on. I like when I'm introduced to bands that I may not have crossed paths with. Grace Potter seems like a nice fit too.

Chipotle

Postby Chipotle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:31 pm

1) A different vibe, but if Courtney Barnett was on the bill I'd follow them around the country in a VW van. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Lake Street Dive would also be great.

2) A few years ago I saw the Fleet Foxes open for Blitzen Trapper in a small club. I thought they were pretty good and after their set I bought J Tillman a drink.

purpose

Postby purpose » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:13 am

1. Definitively Langhorne
2. When I went to see Sean Rowe, a guy called Daniel Martin Moore did the opening, alone with his guitar. I loved him.
We are ugly, but we have the music.

mao

Postby mao » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:51 pm

I don't really like opening bands. It's annoying when the tickets say "Show Starts At ..." a certain time but then it's not the band you came to see and you're all mad because you had, like, 3 more beers left in the car and now they're going to be be all warm and crap when you get back.
Nothing worse than driving home drinking warm beer.
So I don't like opening bands.

SundayRehab

Postby SundayRehab » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:10 pm

You brought up some good points.
“All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
― Louis Armstrong

Return to “Avett Discussion”