New York City 4/8/2016

Share your stories
BoxofMattches

New York City 4/8/2016

Postby BoxofMattches » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:34 am

I just want to point out that this is my thirteenth Avett Bros show ever which might not seem to be a lot to many people in this website but I'm only 17 so it's a lot for someone my age.

I had mix feelings throughout the entire show.

First I went to the Merch table and let me just say that the Merch this year is the best it has been since 2012.

The opening act was Brandi Carlile and she was all right, she wasn't bad it's just that I don't think she fit in that show she seems to fit in like a theatre or an auditorium concert rather than a stadium. Brandi Carlile's set all really sounded the same, but I did love the Led Zeppelin cover at the end. Personally I thought Old Crow Medicine Show would have been the perfect choice for an opening act and they would have definitely sold out Madison Square Garden if they did, even though Old Crow's songs actually do sound the same you're just so overwhelmed by how badass they are that you can't even tell that all of their songs use the same four chords. No offense to Brandi Carlile.

The sound was extraordinary up until Satan Pulls the Strings during that song and after everything sounded warped in a way. They played their usual hits like Talk on Indolence, Head Full, KDH, Murder in the City, Down with the Shine, I and Love and You, and Laundry Room. The new songs they've played Ain't No Man sounded amazing, it sounds like a commercial single so it will be a big hit for them. True Sadness was also great live, in Vanity the song itself is in the key of C Major and Seth was singing in D Major I think (Don't count on me on that, I don't remember what key it was exactly when the were playing but I'm sure he was singing too high). I Wish I Was was also amazing and is the definite replacement for January Wedding. The first Merle Haggard song was fantastic, the second one seemed dull and it made it seem like it was only on the setlist so the audience could have a bathroom break, which was used, the crowed seemed uninterested in Favorite Memory, including me and I love Merle Haggard.

The boys actually did not banter, at all. Usually in their shows they would say thank you so much for letting us be here and all that, and then later in the show tell a funny story to interact with the audience. They didn't do that, maybe because of timing or maybe because they were just to excited to do their routine, but what I love in Avett brother's shows is their communication to the audience.

The show was really short they've only played 21 songs on the setlist which is surprising because I used to go see them in NYC and they will play 28 songs, but they started after 9 and they could only play till 11:00 because of the noise policy law. I think they should have started the show at 7:00, but I really don't know their schedule so I really can't say that.

Also they were trying to be really urban and rock, which is really not what we want in the north east because we're sick of that stuff. We really don't want to see Bruce Springsteen we want to see The Avett Brothers.
Singer/Songwriter, Guitar/Banjo/Drums/Bass/Piano.

Joke: What do you call a deaf gynecologist? A Lip Reader.

Michelle

Re: New York City 4/8/2016

Postby Michelle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Were we at the same show? Because Brandi KILLED IT!!! the audience was super into her. Girl can sing!!

The boys thanked the audience a few times and talked a little. And hello-- during Kick Drum- Seth walked down into the middle of the crowd and rocked his solo. Scott ran off somewhere else into the crowd. Maybe you took a bathroom break? MSG was show 17 for me and I did notice one major thing, the crowd. THE CROWD! There was thousands there and at times you could hear a pin drop. There were no stupid drunk shouters. There was no loud chatter during quiet songs. It was so amazing to be in a space with people who came to hear the music. The setlist was packed with more familiar tunes and new songs- which I expected. I've heard Murder in the City at almost all 17 of the shows and this version with Brandi was just the most beautiful thing I've heard in a long time. The magic in that room Saturday night, it was a gift to be there. See y'all in Chicago! Three night run!

likeaghost

Postby likeaghost » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:59 pm

I had a blast at this show; Listened to a bit of Brandi before show and thought seemed sort of poppy but was pleased at how raw and rocking she sounded live, was a fun set to get things going, especially as stated above the "going to California" cover. Avetts were great as usual, was interesting to see a new arrangement of the opener "Talk on Indolence" song started right in with accapela speedball lryics, no intro build up chords. Sort of miss that but liked hearing a new take on old song. Band clearly loved being at MSG. Heavy on big hitters, but ballad section played well. Place probably 90% or so full, was confused by how empty the back of the floor was, proof that ticketmaster is evil. Said floor was sold out first day of on sale, i got my floor seat second day and there were clearly available at box office day of the show. So sad how a company that already is scamming the pants off you with fees has to allow and particapate in a scalping operation to maximize already sky high profits, end rant. Love this band and every chance i get to see them.

BoxofMattches

Postby BoxofMattches » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 pm

I had a blast at this show; Listened to a bit of Brandi before show and thought seemed sort of poppy but was pleased at how raw and rocking she sounded live, was a fun set to get things going, especially as stated above the "going to California" cover. Avetts were great as usual, was interesting to see a new arrangement of the opener "Talk on Indolence" song started right in with accapela speedball lryics, no intro build up chords. Sort of miss that but liked hearing a new take on old song. Band clearly loved being at MSG. Heavy on big hitters, but ballad section played well. Place probably 90% or so full, was confused by how empty the back of the floor was, proof that ticketmaster is evil. Said floor was sold out first day of on sale, i got my floor seat second day and there were clearly available at box office day of the show. So sad how a company that already is scamming the pants off you with fees has to allow and particapate in a scalping operation to maximize already sky high profits, end rant. Love this band and every chance i get to see them.
I bought tickets the minute it went on sale and ticketmaster told me all of the floor seatings were sold. The day of the concert I wanted to see what tickets were left and out of nowhere they had floor seating. which I really don't mind since i saw that all of the floor "seaters" were standing because they couldn't see, but yeah ticketmaster is evil.

I don't think it was a bad concert, compared to other bands concerts it was fucking legendary, but compared to other avett bros concerts i've seen better.
Singer/Songwriter, Guitar/Banjo/Drums/Bass/Piano.

Joke: What do you call a deaf gynecologist? A Lip Reader.

Return to “Concert Reviews”