The Avett brothers song that means the most to me

Discuss the music
Luke3286

The Avett brothers song that means the most to me

Postby Luke3286 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:17 am

Hi my name is Luke, the song that means the most to me is c-sections and railway trestles. I know it sounds strange but hear me out. So around this time a year ago I found out my wife was pregnant. This being my second child and her first I was determined to make this experience the best I could for her. So for 9 months we planned and we re decorated and we did everything possible for this baby to come into this world. My wife Katie had a stern birth plan of it being drug free and as natural as possible to get in touch with her womanhood and raw power and I fully supported her the whole way through. So a couple months before go time we find out he's sitting breech, throwing all plans out the window if he stays that way. Fast forward a bit and it's time for the c section. I was an still am very proud of Katie for the way she handled having to go into surgery.

She was so brave I had never in my life seen her been so strong. We were lucky to have the most amazing doula Mary Beth who somehow let us pick music to play and take pictures it was a wonderful experience for us. Fast forward again a few hours after the surgery and katie still felt pretty ill. We were assured it was ok. 4:30 in the morning she then was physically ill and vomited. We assured again everything was fine. 7am rolls around and nurse shift change occurs. Our new nurse named Glo comes in and immediately notices problems. Within a few minutes she had called a few doctors in and what seemed to be a heart beat they were taking my Katie back into emergency surgery. There I am alone, brand new baby boy with my person about to check out on me. All I had was my phone and I played the first song that came to mind, c sections and railway trestles.

I have never repeated a song so many times in my life. It was the only thing that would soothe my baby boy. After a few very amazing people coming to help me we found out that Katie was in the icu and she was stable. That was one of the most defining moments of my life, to see the mother of my baby, my love, my wife on breathing machines. After a few crucial hours she was able to breathe on her own and she was conscious and days later we were on our way home. Now every night or nap time or just grumpy and fighting sleep I can put that song on and rock and pat him and hold him for comfort. This got me through the hardest part of my life where i had to be strong for him. That's why this song is so important to me.

Return to “Avett Songs”