The Avett Guild

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
rburrows

The Avett Guild

Postby rburrows » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:05 pm

As a long time Avett fan and supporter, I am wondering if anyone else is a little bit offended by the notion that one must now pay a fee to join the Guild in order to get the right to, e.g., early pre-sale. I have supported the band for many years and have seen many shows (more than 10). This seems like a very bad precedent. I have a number of bands I like and would not want to have to buy into each of them to show my support. I always liked the democracy of getting tickets by paying attention and acting quickly at deadlines. This is not going to change my appreciation of the band or the music, but just wanted one voice to be heard on this. I am not going to pay the fee and I will just take my chances.

stirred

Re: The Avett Guild

Postby stirred » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:41 pm

I'm disappointed.

SundayRehab

Postby SundayRehab » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:00 am

You are not alone.
“All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
― Louis Armstrong

TinMan

Postby TinMan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:20 am

I actually really like the idea of it. For $40 a month you get an Avett Guild laminate, sticker, and a 7 inch vinyl with unreleased tracks....that's worth the $40 a year for me, but on top of that you get discounted service fees so if you go to multiple shows a year you'll be saving money! Plus you get first dibs on seats?! A lot of bands do this as they grow. I'm all for it.

Brettagher

Postby Brettagher » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:09 pm

I hear you. It essentially feels like a way to wring fans for additional money. And the idea that if you are wealthier you get to cut the ticketing line, in a digital sense, seems to go against what the Avetts stand for, or so I would have thought.

This is starting to feel more like Costco than a band.

DSBlount

Postby DSBlount » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:16 pm

It's what happens as bands get bigger. Same as it ever was.

stirred

Postby stirred » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:28 pm

"A lot of bands do this as they grow."

------------------------------------------------------

If all the other bands in the entire world do it, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the appropriate thing to do.

I know it is unfair of me to hold them to a different standard, and yet I do.

ramseurrecords
Site Admin

Postby ramseurrecords » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 pm

One of the key decisions in creating the Avett Guild was the ability to keep offering pre-sales to our fans. We had to have an "official" fan club or the pre-sales were in jeopardy of not continuing.

Robin

Postby Robin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:21 pm

"A lot of bands do this as they grow."

------------------------------------------------------

If all the other bands in the entire world do it, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the appropriate thing to do.

I know it is unfair of me to hold them to a different standard, and yet I do.
Do you mind me asking why you hold them to a different standard?

Sallynas

Postby Sallynas » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:56 am

I signed up and paid right when I got the email. I am so thankful for the free content I receive on YouTube, I feel like I am making up for it with my membership fees. I also like the little perks that come with it, like the sticker and the record and email updates. The thing I find myself saying the most these days is "I am a grown ass woman who brings home a paycheck. I'll buy what I want!" (I bought the Reserved seats at Red Rocks this year and I was still caught in the middle of a bunch of hammered 20-somethings who didn't know who the Avett Brothers were!) So while money doesn't buy happiness, I feel like this was an investment I could trust. Plus I know what to expect!

And they have free membership too, so I thought that was nice for those who choose to spend their $40.00 elsewhere. For just over ten cents a day, I'm saving an Avett. LOL. Maybe it's geared for us super fans that aren't super good at getting to shows?

Return to “Avett Discussion”