Re: Scott or Seth

Postby Robin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am

Good Lord :(
yes?
:lol: :lol:

Mel

Postby Mel » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am

Both. All. Wouldn't be the same if one band member was missing.

purpose

Postby purpose » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:58 am

Scott said in an interview that he used to visit the old boards but the criticism and comparisons between him and Seth made him feel terrible. I think gushing is mainly harmless but those kinds of critiques take an ugly turn real fast. (I hope these boards take some lessons from the old boards of what not to do and how to abide by the band's wishes.)
I don't think that's the point. Scott in that interview seems to take as a given that their fans think about them as actual, existent, sentient persons, and I really don't think so. No offense. Of course I don't mean people don't think they are real persons, that would be stupid, but in a way it's not possible to understand that fully. For us, they are more like constructs, almost fiction characters. We idealize them, we have to invent them. We can't, as much as we may try, comprehend them as complex, full human beings. I don't think any fan with medium intelligence can choose one brother over the other ("we love you and are proud of you both in so many different ways"), and of course we want them to be together forever, but that doesn't mean that, seeing them together, we can help compare them, like "Seth voice is sweeter" or even "Scott is more handsome", for example (just saying random, stupid things).

The proof of that is that this very thread was the second or third to be opened, the exact same day the forum was available...
We are ugly, but we have the music.

SundayRehab

Postby SundayRehab » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:24 pm

Maybe there should be a section for threads like this one. They could title it Threads that belong in Tiger Beat or 16 Magazine. It would make them easier to ignore.
“All music is folk music. I ain’t never heard a horse sing a song.”
― Louis Armstrong

MattRichards

Postby MattRichards » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:57 pm

" We can't, as much as we may try, comprehend them as complex, full human beings."

Maybe it's just me, but I do tend to see them in this way, to the point where when I hear any of their songs, I immediate assume everything in it is nonfiction ... the unembellished true stories of their lives set to music. There's not another artist in all of music that I feel this way about.

purpose

Postby purpose » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 am

Surely there should be a section in this forum for users too cool to live and too adult to play so they'd know where to go to feel well above the rest of humanity :mrgreen:
" We can't, as much as we may try, comprehend them as complex, full human beings."

Maybe it's just me, but I do tend to see them in this way, to the point where when I hear any of their songs, I immediate assume everything in it is nonfiction ... the unembellished true stories of their lives set to music. There's not another artist in all of music that I feel this way about.
I'm sure we try to, but I don't think we really can, from such distance. Inmediately trying to fit a song in what we think is their life is precisely what I was talking about. We construct them as fictions trying to imagine their real lifes. That is what the "celebrity" issue is about.

I don't know, I'm just talking nonsense, I know. Just rambling.
We are ugly, but we have the music.

geordie

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:02 pm

They each bring something similar yet different to the table. Rather sadly I have been trying for years to grow a full, slick beard like Seth has sometimes, alas I just end up with a grey straggly mess!

Return to “Avett Discussion”