May It Last thoughts?

General discussion about The Avett Brothers
RamseurAbby
Site Admin

May It Last thoughts?

Postby RamseurAbby » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks to those who saw "May It Last" last night! What did everyone think?
Abby // Ramseur Records

iggymicb

Re: May It Last thoughts?

Postby iggymicb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:23 pm

I thought it was wonderful, I really appreciate Scott and Seth's efforts to share such a personal look into their lives. Their honesty, their kindness, the fun in their relationship. It's very giving of them to share something that is usually kept so personal. Really appreciate Bob doing the same, it really is a gift be able to be allowed to share a small glimpse into their off stage life. Thank you to everyone involved. To Scott, Seth, Bob, Joe, Tania, and Mike thank you. To their families, thank you for sharing them with us. I'm a forever fan, May it last just made me appreciate them more.

CatchMeAtAShow

Postby CatchMeAtAShow » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Loved it! And it made me love this band even more! I laughed, cried, smiled and sang! Thanks to all that were a part of it and for allowing us to see you so clearly!

iambwf

Postby iambwf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm

I attended the 9:10 showing at Sunray Cinema in Jacksonville, FL. My wife and 17-year-old daughter joined me. Attending as a family was special considering how much of a role family plays in defining the world of the Avett Brothers. When the Avetts come anywhere near Jacksonville the three of us will surely attend the show. At home I'll play Avett songs on the guitar, my daughter on piano, and she'll also sing. While her older brother isn't as much of a fan, he does enjoy the music. As it would be, he is just over 4 years older than his sister so their relationship has something in common in with Scott and Seth. It's parts of their story, such as that, which made the movie so personal, and I'm sure many fans sought and found such a connection.

Observing how they live, how they write, and how important sharing their stories are made everything they created even more special. Bob is an amazing human being, and the present band, along with Rick Rubin, reflect the love and respect both Seth and Scott have cultivated. Seth's line about life having one period, but many commas, was immediately impactful. Even when they were struggling with the congratulations of a song surely created out of suffering, their reactions were framed as honest while also presented as a flaw.

The humanity of the simplicity of their lives, and the character of their persons stood above myth I created as a fan. Though, if I'm being honest, the two are probably not far off. I left the theater wanting to move to Concord, NC and wanting more to be in their circle of friends.
You may have to drag me away from my demons
Kicking and screaming

az1006

Postby az1006 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm

When I was first introduced to the Avett Brothers' music, I wasn't immediately a fan. I enjoyed a few of their more up-tempo tunes (Kick Drum Heart, Talk on Indolence, etc), but I found the majority of it to be rather boring. I recognized their talent as lyricists, but found myself all too often requesting that my girlfriend (now my wife, and responsible for my Avett coronation) change it to something else. No, I wasn't a fan right off the bat...It took me seeing them live to get to that point.

Seven years, 13 shows, thousands of road miles, and countless hours of listening, dissecting and analyzing lyrics later, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on what they were like as human beings. It's still difficult to assume you know what your "idols" are like in real life...We always hope and wish that people we look up to, whether they're movie stars, pro athletes, rock stars, or folks in our everyday lives, really do live up to our often unrealistic expectations. It took seeing "May It Last" for me to realize the Avett Brothers do just that.

I've been a fan for a long time, and I've always admired them for their musical talent and their seemingly approachable personas from afar...But after seeing the doc, I have a whole new level of respect for them as musicians and as human beings. I wish I could personally thank them for allowing all of us such an intimate look into their lives, and what has helped mold them into the artists they are today. I wish I could thank them for pouring their heart and soul into every note, every word, every song, every show, all the time for us to enjoy. Such a great film about a great group of people that make music for you and me to enjoy. Well done.

parkercm71

Postby parkercm71 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 am

Incredible piece of work. Judd Apatow and Michael Bonfiglio did an amazing job putting the material together and everything that my family and me have felt regarding how they would be off the stage was confirmed in seeing them live the life their music embodies. I started the day with Carolina Jubilee, mixed in some Spotify shuffle of the band at the gym this morning and ended the day with some Magpie and the Dandelion. The music continues to grow on all of us. Many thanks to all involved and we can't wait to see them in Birmingham.
Side note...I was pretty stoked to go and listen to some RoadToNow podcasts today and a great discovery was made when I found the podcast that Lance Armstrong had put together with Scott and Seth. Very good podcast to add to your list->http://theforwardpodcast.libsyn.com/the-avett-brothers

TheLateJedBrice

Postby TheLateJedBrice » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 am

I went and took my adult daughter. So two very different generations. I am in my 60's she is in her early 30's. We both had the same reaction. First move we can remember that we smiled from the very start to the very end. Such a warm and honest movie. Been following you guys since the early 2000's, seen well over 30 shows now, and the band NEVER disappoints me. Thank you for being a part of my life the past 14 years!!!

Khook

Postby Khook » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm still high from the experience. My favorite part was watching the creative process of writing "I Wish I Was"; and I was WRECKED while watching them lay down "No Hard Feelings"! Looking forward to a mommy's night out with the brothers in Asheville!

Return to “Avett Discussion”